Chattanooga State Community College
Mission Statement 2010-2015
Chattanooga State is an educationally purposeful community where faculty, staff, and students share academic goals and strive for high standards that lead to the attainment of degrees and certificates, meaningful careers, and a committed citizenry of lifelong learners.
a comprehensive, regionally accredited community college in the Tennessee Board of Regents System, offering associate of arts, associate of science, and associate of applied science degrees. The College is distinguished by a diverse service area population; high market penetration; breadth of curriculum; and impact on the business-industrial-professional community of southeast Tennessee.
Chattanooga State serves a six-county area of southeast Tennessee and bordering counties of north Georgia and Alabama (and a larger service area for emergency tech and related subjects) as an open-entry postsecondary institution offering over 50 majors of study toward these degrees and certificates:
- Associate of Arts
- Associate of Science
- Associate of Applied Science
- Technical Certificates
- Institutional Certificates
Chattanooga State delivers its programs and services at many sites in its Service Area as well as globally via distance learning technologies.
Chattanooga State maintains national accreditation in all its eligible programs. The institution is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
a wide array of programs and services including:
- Degree and certificate study for career preparation and advancement
- University parallel (transfer) studies leading to associate degrees
- Partnerships with secondary schools, state and community agencies, and the private sector
- Non-credit coursework (including CEU study)
- Transitional Studies (reading, writing and basic math)
- Adult education/GED preparation/English as second language
- Technological and occupational training
- Cultural diversity and environmental health initiatives
- Mentoring, advising, counseling, tutoring, strengths-based planning
- Those who consistently act in the best interest of students and the College (who have their priorities right);
- Those who get things accomplished (who execute);
- Those who are transparent (who are direct, truthful, and non-manipulative);
- Those who are positive in outlook (who see the glass as half-full); and
- Those who build constructive workplace relationships (who are team players).
We commit to fulfilling our mission by:
- Selecting and supporting faculty and staff members known for superior teaching, applied research and professional service;
- Encouraging all employees to grow personally and professionally and create community awareness of their capabilities;
- Providing educational programs and services that are of high quality, timely, created through scholarly program design and are responsive to community needs;
- Instilling a desire for lifelong learning and a love of knowledge in all members of the College family;
- Fostering a climate of success for all students through counseling, support groups, financial aid, career planning, advisement, library facilities, laboratories, tutoring, co-curricular activities, sports and recreation;
- Ensuring that all of these mission commitments are publicly accountable and accomplished through the careful utilization of resources, strategic planning, financial controls, employee professional development, public-private partnerships, and alternative funding, where possible;
- Graduating students that have workplace knowledge, written and oral communication, computational, critical thinking, listening, teamwork, and computer competence skills; students who have been taught qualities of good character, work ethic and citizenship.