Jan 26, 2022
College Advancement and Public Relations
10:05:00 Bylaws Chattanooga State Community College Alumni Association
ARTICLE I. NAME
- The name of this organization shall be known as the Chattanooga State Community College Alumni Association.
ARTICLE II. MISSION STATEMENT
- The mission of Chattanooga State Community College Alumni Association is to:
- Foster a lifelong relationship between Chattanooga State Community College and its alumni
- Support Chattanooga State Community College in advancing its mission
- Help serve the needs of the alumni community
- Offer resources for current students
- The Alumni Association will accomplish its mission by supporting alumni activities and by working with Chattanooga State Community College Foundation.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
- Persons qualifying for a membership; any person who is a former student of Chattanooga State Community College or Tennessee College of Applied Technology, existing and former staff members and friends of the College interested in promoting the welfare of the Association shall be entitled to membership.
ARTICLE IV. BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- The Chattanooga State Community College Alumni Association shall be governed by the Board of Directors which shall be composed of no more than twelve members including:
- President Elect
- Vice President of College Advancement and Public Relations (ex-officio)
- At-Large Members
- A minimum of six at-large members, including the Immediate Past President of the Association.
ARTICLE V. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF OFFICERS
- The President of the Association shall preside at all meetings, shall call all extra meetings needed, and be an ex-officio member of all committees. The President of the Association shall also be an ex-officio member of the Chattanooga State Community College Foundation Board, subject to Foundation Board approval.
- The President Elect shall be the presiding officer in the absence of the President.
- The Secretary shall keep minutes of the meetings and perform other duties that the Board of Directors may assign.
- The Treasurer shall maintain financial records of the Association including the Alumni Associations' Foundation funds. The treasurer shall provide periodic reports to the Board of Directors annually.
ARTICLE VI. ELECTIONS AND TERMS OF OFFICE
- Each of the Association's officers shall be elected for a two-year term; with the possible renewal for another two years. The exception shall be the Immediate Past President of the Association who automatically becomes an At-Large member of the Board of Directors at the conclusion of his or her term. Terms of office will begin following the annual meeting.
- Terms: Each Director shall be elected to serve a three (3) year term and may serve no more than two (2) consecutive three-year terms. Any Director serving two consecutive three-year terms shall not be eligible for re-election for at least one year after completion of the second three-year term, unless elected as an Officer as described in VI. A.
- Elections of Board of Directors will be held at the annual meeting at the end of term of office.
- Each of the officers will be elected by a simple majority of the votes cast. In case of a tie, there will be a run-off.
- To facilitate the on-going business of the organization, vacancies occurring within the Association's officers or elected members shall be appointed by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VII. STANDING COMMITTEES
- All committee appointments shall be made by the President of the Association. Except where otherwise designated in these Bylaws, the President of the Association shall also name the committee chair(s). The vice chair of the committee will serve as the chair the next year.
- Nominating Committee
- This committee shall assemble the Board of Directors slate.
- Any other standing or temporary committees that are deemed necessary by the Board of Directors for the on-going activities of the Association.
ARTICLE VIII. MEETINGS
- The Board of Directors shall meet a minimum of four times per year. These meetings shall be open to all members, those eligible for membership, and any College official.
- The annual meeting for all alumni shall be conducted during the fall semester.
- A quorum for the conducting of Board of Directors business shall consist of a majority of its members. A majority vote of those present shall be necessary to pass any motion.
- Any action required or permitted to be taken at any meeting of the Board may be taken without a meeting if the entire Board consent to the action in writing and each of the written consents are filed with the records of the meetings of the Board. Such consents shall be treated for all purposes as a vote at a meeting. Written consent may include voting by e-mail or other such electronic means of communication.
- Meetings shall be conducted under the provisions of the latest edition of Roberts Rules of Order.
ARTICLE IX. LIQUIDATION
- In the event of liquidation of this Alumni Association, any assets available for distribution shall be distributed to the Chattanooga State Community College Foundation.
ARTICLE X. AMENDING THE BYLAWS
- Any recommended amendments of these Bylaws shall be approved by two-thirds of the members present at a regular meeting of the Board of Directors. Written notice of the proposed amendment shall be required at least (7) days prior to the meeting. Proposals for an amendment may be initiated in writing to the secretary by any member of the Association.
- These Bylaws or any amendment thereto shall be effective immediately following adoption by a majority of those members present and voting at the Annual Meeting of the Alumni Association.
Approved by the Chattanooga Sate Community College Alumni Board: September 21, 2016
Reviewed and Revised: October 7, 2020