03:25:01 Club and Organization Advisors
- Club and organization Advisors are very important to the Student Life program of Chattanooga State. In order to provide a safe, meaningful and successful experience for students and the campus community, it is important that the Advisors of clubs and organizations have the following essential core requirements:
- An advisor must have a working knowledge of the institution and TBR Policy No. 3:01:01:00 on student organizations. As part of the advisor's duties, he or she should have a clear understanding of the role of the student life division in coordinating the student organization's programming and activities.
- In carrying out the role of advisor, he or she must have an interest in the student organization for which he or she is an advisor.
- An advisor must be committed to serving the needs of an organization and its members by attending all formal functions staged or held by the organization; developing a rapport with the membership of the organization, especially the officers; keeping abreast of current developments in the particular areas served by the organization; developing a working relationship with national, state, and/or regional officers of the organization and working with institutional officials to inform the organization of TBR and institutional policies, procedures, and decisions that affect the functioning of the organization.
- An advisor must acquire a working knowledge of TBR policies and guidelines as they relate to fund-raising, fund-accounting, and fund disbursement as outlined in TBR and institutional business policies and guidelines. The advisor should then assist with the financial duties associated with the organization by counseling and assisting officers, by reviewing financial statements and accounts, and by assisting with institutional procedures designed to safeguard funds.
- An advisor should have a reasonable knowledge of current applicable standards in the area of student organizations in higher education and liability issues. An advisor should consult with chief student service, institutional, and designated legal officials concerning applicable standards.
- An advisor should attempt to assist in the planning of all social and formal functions, whether on or off- campus; the advisor shall routinely appear at planned social functions. Advisors should, in aiding the organization in planning events, maintain consistency with all institutional and TBR policies and guidelines related to off-campus speakers and the use of campus property and facilities.
- An advisor should encourage the development of initiative and leadership within the specified organization, should assist the officials of the institution in identifying potential officers and leaders within the organization, and should serve as a resource person for the organization in leadership areas.
- Chattanooga State Student Activities provides a variety of annual training opportunities in key issues such as leadership development, liability, student group travel policies, and all applicable TBR and campus policies and procedures. It is the responsibility of each advisor to attend annual training.
- Current club and organization policies and procedures are maintained in the online student engagement portal. Advisors are expected to utilize the portal to access
Submitted to Policy Review Committee on February 10, 2020
Submitted to Policy Review Board on March 6, 2020
Approved by Policy Review Board on April 8, 2020
See Previous Version(s):
Reviewed and Revised by Student Affairs, 03/27/09
Approved by Executive Staff, President's Cabinet, and President, May 20, 2009