Continuing Education and Workforce Development - File Retention
07:55:01 Continuing Education and Workforce Development- File Retention
A. Introduction: Chattanooga State Community College: Economic and Community Development Department (ECD} must provide guidelines to department personnel on how long files are to be retained within the office. These files include, but are not limited to: course files, student records, company files, cash receipts, purchase orders, and invoices.
B. Objective: To establish a guideline for the retention and destruction of the Department of Economic and Community Development's files.
C. Purpose: The purpose of this policy is to establish a departmental retention policy as to the number of years files are to be retained and how the documents will be destroyed at the end of the retention period.
D. Scope: The scope of this policy includes all staff of the ECD Department, particularly pertaining to the record keeper of the department. The record keeper will have the responsibility of sending files to storage or shredding the files as necessary at the end of each fiscal year.
E. Responsibility and authority: Each file has a timeline it should be retained. The timeline is as follows:
- Course Files: Retention rate of 5 fiscal years
- Student Records: Retention rate of 5 fiscal years
- The Department has decided to retain certificate courses in BDMS for indefinitely. These certificate courses include, but are not limited to: Heavy Equipment Operators, National Electric Code, WITS, Certified Nursing Assistant, Phlebotomy, Medical Billing and Coding, Limited Residential Contractor's licensing.
- Company/ Corporate Files: Retention rate of 5 fiscal years
- Cash Receipts: Retention rate of 1 fiscal year
- Purchase Orders: Retention rate of 5 fiscal years
- Invoices: Retention rate of 5 fiscal years
*The ECD Department will retain the previous fiscal year's files in house and will send the past four fiscal year's files in boxes to storage, excluding Cash Receipts (See Destruction).
F. Destruction - After the expiration of the retention rate described under Responsibility and authority (5), the
destruction of files will occur at the end of each fiscal year as follows:
- Boxes sent to storage will be marked with the destroy date as required by ChattanoogaState Policy 05:11:00. They will then be destroyed on the date listed.
- Cash Receipts will be shredded from the previous fiscal year's files.
- *No record shall be destroyed, however, so long as it pertains to any pending legal case, claim, or action; or to any federal or state audit until such actions have been concluded. (See reference G-Q70)
1. Chattanooga State Community College Disposal of Records 05:11:00 http://catalog.chattanoogastate.edu/content.php?catoid=S&navoid=308
2. Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) Records Retention and Disposal of Records: G-070 https://policies.tbr.edu/guidelines/records-retention-and-disposal-records
October 1, 2015